Sunday, April 01, 2007

Cambria County

Has an amazing library system! Our second workshop took place on Friday at the Cambria County Library in downtown Johnstown. District Consultant, Mary Lou Repsher and Director Lyn Meek were wonderful hosts and we are so thankful for their hospitality. When you find yourself in Johnstown, please check out the library. For you children's librarians, I am sure you will find yourselves green with envy when you see the Children's Department-- I know I was!

Cambria County Library will be hosting what has become a very popular fund raiser on April 20- a Friday evening. It is called A Little Night Music @ the Library and it features a different style of music on each of the Library's three floors. See their website for more information. I have heard a great many wonderful things about this evening, but have yet to make it. Go if you can!

I also wanted to thank the Shaler North Hills Library for hosting our March 23 workshop. This library is near and dear to my heart because I have been working there for 20 years and I still have my key! It seems like bragging about my own family, but I must thank Shaler's dynamic and creative director, Sharon McRae and the whole staff for allowing us to hold our first workshop in Shaler. The Shaler Library will celebrate National Jazz Month on Monday, April 16 at their 3rd Annual Jazz Extravaganza featuring the jazz ensembles from Shaler Area High School, CAPA High School, and other area schools. Check it out here!

In response to the request for information about your teen and children's writing groups a great many samples and stories and descriptions have been sent! Thank you all so much for this! Many of you asked for more time to send pictures and samples and so what we'll do is- there will be an article in May's newsletter about writing groups in general, with the teaser that next month we will feature ideas from your libraries. I want to make sure I get everyone's input for this article because of the great response, so if you haven't had a chance to send your info in, please do and it will be included in the June issue!

Feedback surveys for the Shaler and Johnstown workshops will be coming to you via Survey Monkey emails-- Kim Synder from PaLA has graciously allowed me to use this program and so I will be emailing them this week. Your feedback is appreciated!

Is anyone attending the Futures Conference in May in Atlantic City? I will be going and wondered if I'll see any of you there?

Blessings,

ing :)

1 comment:

Kelley B said...

I'm attending the futures conference. We're going to gamble to get money for the libraries, right? Wahoo!

Kelley